Tuesday, July 6, 2010

New hardware

Ahh... just got the computer back from a major overhaul of sorts...thank goodness this new software is compliant with my internet service.

Its been a busy, hectic, fast & furious few weeks. Work has been consuming me, thankfully I have a little backup for the Judicial Review matter. Sadly things did not go my client's way, and the big Bank won. And that too, in the face of evidence to the contrary. I was stunned. My client was in shock for 2 weeks. I'm still in a state of disbelief.

I blame this new system. Things take time. Why would anyone believe having enough time is not necessary anymore? But yes, there are those in power who make decisions, who do hold onto this belief. So now we have to prepare our Judicial Review application for leave, which literally contains thousands of documents. That has been done, and copies have been filed and sent to the respective parties, so now we wait for the Hearing date.

Yesterday the Court's letter of appointment was sent to the office. 3 Accused facing 4 drug charges. 1 is a 39B drug trafficking charge. 3 Accused, with 1 of them having his own lawyer. I and another were court-appointed, only receiving the letter today. Which is quite odd, as the moment the court knows an Accused does not have a lawyer in a capital offence case, one is quickly appointed for him/them. The lawyer then shows up at the next Mention date, and follows up. The letter stated the Hearing was already fixed for next month. Another fine example of disrespecting/disregarding lawyers and their time. Even though it is such defence counsel who volunteers to take on a capital offence case for peanuts. Wow!!!! I'll see what can be done.

Growing older, time seems to slip away. Time is a thief? Its a frikkin' burgler. Rushing around with so many things to do is not my idea of an interesting life. Especially when some of these things should be dealt with by others. Nobody wants to be one of those people who run around all day, on the phone, busy busy busy, with umpteen tasks to complete on a daily basis. I think we need another legal assistant. I need a bigger room. I want a new office. And 2 sexy female assistants vying for my affection. Miaow!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment