Monday, May 10, 2010

Keep Hope Alive

Today was a busy day. I got things done, and things came flying at me until i reached home. A ray of light broke through the stormy clouds today. Wanna know what happened?

I also encountered the ugly side of touting, and corruption, faced by my client, who was led on by those that are entrusted to enforce the law, and protect the innocent. It is tremendously disappointing when you see someone being taken advantage of in their hour of need. Her husband taken away from her, with empty promises fed to her so that such people could buy time for themselves. And what can she tell her 2 infant children? In the end, the ridiculous use of powers to apply to remand someone who they themselves admit don't have any proof on, to even frame a charge, was finally neutralised.

In this case, I was blessed with an intelligent Magistrate. This was the first time I appeared before her in Remand Proceedings. She is a very smart woman, capable of grasping the facts and issues at a moment's notice. Her experience has also honed her judicial skills and enhanced her sense of fairness. She grilled him although the court was filled with suspects and his kind. I was like an eye-witness, if not as a shield for my client.

She was kind, respectful, firm and stern.

I stood amazed at how she peeled open the layers of half-truths and incomplete investigations. I was glued to my seat as she clung onto her question, demanding a straight answer from the man who was unsure of himself, after her Socratic Method was imparted onto him. She really is an agent of Lady Justice. She spun rings around him. I was impressed. Everyone was listening to her. I'll bet that even the other suspects were given hope at that point. All the other IOs shuffled their IPs to get their facts right. Amazing I tell you.

Today, a man wrongly suspected of a crime (by association) was finally freed after office hours. I received a call from the client (the wife) who uttered "Thank You"; the first thing I heard when I answered the phone. This was the very same lady who was resigned to her fate that her husband would be re-arrested even after the Order for Release. That may (or may not) have had something to do with what I had said to one of them at court before I left hurriedly...hehehe...My heart resonated with joy at that point.

It is also incredulous at how investigations are conducted, even in this day and age. It reinforces my belief that the lawyer's presence is vital, to ensure that the constitutional safeguards of checks & balances are actually functioning. Yes, we may be a cog in the machine, but I believe we are a central one.

But today, this lady Magistrate displayed a level of judicial ability that was indeed remarkable. I have her to thank for how things turned out today. With what she has given me today, perhaps I can carry on, and add strength to the courage of my convictions which have become so faint in my heart these long days.


No comments:

Post a Comment