Friday, March 5, 2010

Smiling

In school we all had ideals. Principles even. Something to believe in, and aspire to. There was an open door with unknown possibilities. It wasn't naivete; it was hope in a better tomorrow, and the disbelief that things hadn't changed yet. And of course we told ourselves we would never become our own worst enemy. But that's what happens naturally, doesn't it.

I've come to realise how easy and seductive falling into complacency really is. Procrastination sets in, and we tell ourselves it really isn't our problem. Or if it is, we shrug and tell ourselves that others are suffering in silence as well. Our adapting to the outside world is a dangerous assimilation of its negative connotations.

Not any more.

I have to learn to be more positive. To re-discover who i wanted to be, and retain those principles that I aspired to, so long ago. Baby steps, of course, but it must start somewhere. My slow awakening begins now. And even if I can't change things, I can at least take solace in the fact I did all I could on my part. I refuse to allow those others, in high positions, to crush my spirit. The little I have done so far has been noted. I shall continue, God-willing.

I know of one school-mate who has become the exact opposite of what he stood for in school. Years later, I was shocked at his deliberation of Materialism and his quest for such accumalation. His present circle of friends are on the same bandwith. My head spun whenever he ranted on and on about it. That really woke me up, to see the forest for the trees. It might be crude to say, but I don't want to turn into just another person scrambling for his pot of gold. Life really isn't all about money; financial independence is one thing, but savouring moments in life is an entirely different level. Money can make you feel nice and happy, yes. But even those people would agree that it is merely a means to an end. I've got to keep reminding myself that too.

I have to start thinking about what I'm doing. Try to stay on track. There can be no place for regret, so every opportunity becomes more valuable. The psychiatrist I'm working with on this case, told me that people have to have a healthy life, which would include mental health. That would mean having a positive outlook. It's easier once you're in the rhythm of things. There may be a lag sometimes, but it's worth making the effort.

We all have our own life goals to look forward to. Sooner or later, we'll figure it out. And in the meantime, life is what we make of it. Everyday is a new opportunity.


No comments:

Post a Comment