Sunday, October 30, 2011

Green House, Blue House


This weekend, I managed to meet up with some old school friends. It had been 16 years (!!!) since I met one of them. He looked the same, but different. He's married, with children. He's not the only one though. Just the 4 of us sitting down and catching-up, remember schooldays and other stuff. We ended our session in the early evening, all of us parting ways.

Just being there made me a little blue. I haven't had much contact with my old school buddies since I left secondary school. I have to admit, it was good seeing them again, all in one place with a little time to ourselves. After all, once you're married and have commitments, your time is not really your own. It was just the realisation of the loss of time. Everytime I learned something new about someone, a little bit of me felt bad. My god, how could I have gone through all this time without even getting in touch with these guys? Friends are the main reason a lot of us actually survive school, if you ask me. Fostered camaraderie is also a comfort in the years that come.

Schooldays are one of the best and worst times of our lives. Our formative years. We are there for one another. I was fortunate enough to be part of that. These are the people we should all cherish, and appreciate how they affect who we are today. Thinking back of what we went through, and the funny stories shared, I noticed I was laughing to myself driving back.

There are so many life lessons friends can teach you. All you have to do is pay attention. A friend can ground you, tell you what you need to know, let you forget what you don't want to. Yes, people do change. But for once in your life, don't let that change things with your brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment