Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Common bonds

So today was the celebration of Ramadhan 1432. The day started off warm, but went into a cold slow drizzle lasting 'til nightfall.

I managed to attend Aidilfitri prayers and had a heavy breakfast later in my friend's house. His mum always has something nice to eat during Hari Raya. Then I rushed home after a while and dozed off 'til lunchtime. Little did I know Nazrul's relative passed away today. It must have been a tough day for him and his family.

This year, the festive mood was not with me. I don't know why. A lot of the preparation was rushed. It wasn't easy fasting this year either. But going to the Masjid Besar was nice, with the prayers being led by an imam with his melodious voice, the grand architecture, and the entire mosque illuminated with light at night; it was truly inspiring. I had a sense of peace. Maybe I need to appreciate the little things better.

I went through the routine of the few visits to houses by myself, and trying to enjoy the day. But by the end of it, in the evening, I was glad it was over.

There was a point in time that I felt I had overstayed my welcome in the 2nd house, so I slipped away after many hours of just hanging about. The whole house was busy with 'family-time', and I felt really out of place. I didn't feel like dragging out the goodbyes with so many people there. I hate goodbyes.

People are lucky to have a functioning family. It really counts for something. Everyone has to participate, otherwise apathy sets in. And when people don't care, others get left behind.


No comments:

Post a Comment